Monday, May 2, 2016

Week Six: Underground Comics

For this week I chose to look at some of Vaughn Bodes Cheech Wizard, growing up I was very much into street art and graffiti. The main character would always be used in some way whether it was on trains the street or murals. I always thought it was a made up character by a street artist or something and never looked into it. Years later I found out it was a comic book character and it wasn’t what I expected it to be. I found it difficult to read with all of the use of slang, I also found it disappointing to find out the comic was mostly about drug use, profanity and sex. I guess it was because I had a different picture of what I thought he was and was about. I also felt like the use of so much text was overwhelming and overpowered the images shown. I think when color was introduced it helped to better separate the two making it much easier to understand. Nonetheless I think that Vaughn Bode created a distinct unique set of characters and storyline. It just isn’t my cup of tea, and my appreciation for the character/characters will always be there but I don’t much care for the stories told, it just isn’t my type of comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment